Suspect You May Have Cushing’s Disease? Read On Now!
If you suspect that you might have Cushing’s disease because you have some of the following symptoms, you DEFINITELY need to educate yourself and THEN talk to your doctor:
- Round, moonpie shaped face (significant amount of fat under the chin and neck area)
- Fatigue (sometimes it suddenly appears or may come on gradually over time)
- Thinning skin
- Bruises easily and can turn black and blue and red
- Tendency towards large barrel shaped midsection or “Humpty Dumpty” shape with significantly thinner arms and legs
- Stretch marks on the breasts, abdomen, arms, and thighs that appear pinkish or purplish
- Increased fat on the upper back that may appear like a modified “Buffalo hump”
- Weight gain that can be significant and sudden or come on gradually even when following a healthy diet
Cushing’s disease is serious! And so is Cushing’s syndrome! There is a difference!
The problem is that in addition to having to deal with these physical symptoms, it’s really hard for some people to actually get their doctors to take the seriously! In fact, there is an entire Facebook page devoted to it which you can read here.
Be forewarned that your doctor may simply tell you that you’ve been eating too much and that you need to lose weight! This is an injustice that drives me crazy! They’ll imply that you’re lazy which is baffling and infuriating to someone who’s been on several diets and simply cannot lose weight! We aren’t talking about a lack of willpower. We’re talking about IGNORANCE, which is why it’s important to educate yourself, before you see your doctor.
Here are three common tests to request:
- 24-hour urinary-free cortisol test
- Late-night test that measures salivary cortisol
- Dexamethasone suppression test
Hang in there and stick to your guns to get a proper diagnosis and treatment!