Everything You Need to Know About IPF… and More!

BMC Medicine recently started an idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) article collection. It should help educate patients, caregivers, and healthcare professionals by delivering the most up-to-date research and latest advancements in treatment.

Here’s a glimpse at some of the things you’ll find there:

  • The number of cases of IPF are going up. Diagnosis and prognosis rates even look similar to some forms of cancer (such as liver cancer)
  • Researchers are starting to identify some of the contributing factors to IPF, including genetic components and environmental risk factors
  • Researchers have been able to identify specific gene mutations in 39% of the IPF population. Unfortunately, that still leaves 61% of the IPF population with unidentified genetic factors
  • Various familial syndromes (such as Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome and dyskeratosis congenita) can increase the chances of a person developing IPF
  • Ever wonder why lungs scar in the first place? Scarring is considered to be an evolutionary development that helps prevent blood loss or the invasion of pathogens by sealing up a wound. Because of this, environmental conditions that may injure the lungs are also considered to be a key component in the development of IPF.

There’s a lot more than can be learned from the collection. Some writings are more scientific in nature than others (and a little harder to digest), but in general there should be something for various reading levels.


James Ernest Cassady

James Ernest Cassady

Though "Ernest" is a family name that's been passed down for generations, James truly earned his middle moniker when, at the age of five, he told his mother that "laughing is stupid unless EVERYBODY is happy." Since then, the serious little bastard has been on a mission to highlight the world's shortcomings (and hopefully correct them). In addition to his volunteer work at hospitals and animal shelters, James also enjoys documentaries and the work of William Faulkner. He is originally from Oklahoma.

Follow us