September is Primary Biliary Cholangitis Awareness Month!
What is PBC?
Primary biliary cholangitis (PBC) is a chronic disease of the liver characterized by a slow, progressive damage to the bile ducts located in the liver. Bile is a substance produced by the liver that is responsible for the digestion of fat and fat soluble vitamins in the intestine, and damage to these ducts prevents the flow of bile out of the liver and causes a buildup of bile and other substances within the liver. The accumulation of these substances can lead to scarring (fibrosis) and advanced scarring (cirrhosis), which ultimately can lead to liver failure.
So check out ways you can help make a difference this September, courtesy of The PBCers Organization.
Get your Social Media Fingers Ready!
PBC has various Facebook pages you can join to get up-to-date info and opportunities to connect with communicates. See below!
- PBCers Organization Main – Public Page
- PBCers Information Public Page
- PBC Education & Fundraising Events Public Page
- PBC Medications Public Page
- PBC Angels Private Group (PBCers share experiences, answer questions and build friendships)
- PBC Family & Friends Private Group for family members & friends. NO PBC patients.
- PBCers Garden Private Group (PBCers who enjoying gardening, all types, share tips, pictures & help – No PBC)
- OCCABD Private Group (Fun group to vent & share – No PBC)
For Friends and Family Members: Join the Email List!
The PBC support group is a great source of help and support for family members and friends of those who suffer from PBC. Per the organization, this resource is for caregivers and friends of those diagnosed with PBC.
In the PBCers Family Members and Friends Support Group, you can expect to:
- Openly discusses the ups and downs of our PBC family member or friend.
- Learn more about caring for our PBCer.
- Learn more about PBC the disease and it’s many symptoms.
- Help our PBCer cope with depression and daily living.
- Ask questions of the other members.
- Share personal experiences.
- Help one another cope with our own fears and insecurities of PBC.
- Build lasting friendships.
To join, send a blank e-mail to email@example.com.
Read Real Stories from Real Patients
Nothing beats heating authentic stories from patients themselves! Click here to read about real experiences living with PBC, or forward along to someone who could use this chicken soup for the soul.
Consider Making a Donation
If you can spare the dime, sometimes a donation can be exactly what an advocacy movement needs. Click here to see how you can make a contribution.
For example, using donations, Dr. Eric Gershwin of the University of CA Davis were able to experiment with lab mice for PBC research – marking a big first in the research.
So consider doing something for the PBC community this September!