On October 20th and 21st, the 2017 Rare Neuro-Immune Disorders Symposium (RNDS) will be held in Columbus, Ohio.
The event is meant to bring together patients, families, researchers, and all those affected by or involved with- Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM), Neuromyeleitis Optica Spectrum Disorder (NMOSD), Optic Neuritis (ON), Transverse Myelitis, and its subtype Acute Flaccid Myelitis.
The purpose? Connection, collaboration, and education.
The symposium is organized by the Transverse Myelitis Association (TMA), The Johns Hopkins Transverse Myelitis Center (JHTMC) and NMO Clinic, and The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UTSW) and Children’s Medical Center CONQUER Program. These groups are able to combine their knowledge and specialties in order to provide the most up-to-date information for event participants. Some highlights of the symposium include:
- Question and answer sessions
- Individualized sessions for specific neuro-immune disorders (RNDs)
- Workshops on diagnosis and treatment
- Small group sessions with various speakers, encouraging collaborative discussions
- Presentations explaining the latest research in the field and the future of the disorders
- Special sessions for pediatric issues
- Presentations from professionals in the field including:
- “Recognizing and Treating Neuropathic Pain”- Scott Newsome, DO (The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine)
- “Managing Fatigue in RNDs”- Michael Sweeney, MD (University of Louisville)
- “Rehabilitation in RNDs”- Daniel Becker, MD (The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and International Neurorehabilitation Institute)
- “Bladder, Bowel, and Sexual Dysfunction in RNDs”- Philippines Cabahug, MD (The Kennedy Krieger Institute)
- “Living with a Rare Neuro-Immune Disorder: Neuropyschological factors to consider”- Lana Harder, PhD (University of Texas Southwestern and Children’s Medical Center)
All those interested in furthering their knowledge of rare neuro-immune disorders are welcome and encouraged to attend. And if you’re free to spend an extra day in the area- come on out to the 2nd annual, 2017 Ohio Walk-Run-N-Roll Event!
It will be held at Coffman Park Pavilion in Dublin on October 22nd from 10:00am-12:00pm. The event is put on by the TMA as yet another effort to increase awareness and funding for RNDs.